Code of Ethics
Being a globally oriented media service, Al Jazeera shall adopt the following code of ethics in pursuance of the vision and mission it has set for itself:
- Adhere to the journalistic values of honesty, courage, fairness, balance, independence, credibility and diversity, giving no priority to commercial or political over professional consideration.
- Endeavour to get to the truth and declare it in our dispatches, programmes and news bulletins unequivocally in a manner which leaves no doubt about its validity and accuracy.
- Treat our audiences with due respect and address every issue or story with due attention to present a clear, factual and accurate picture while giving full consideration to the feelings of victims of crime, war, persecution and disaster, their relatives and our viewers, and to individual privacies and public decorum.
- Welcome fair and honest media competition without allowing it to adversely affect our standards of performance and thereby having a “scoop” would not become an end in itself.
- Present the diverse points of view and opinions without bias and partiality.
- Recognise diversity in human societies with all their races, cultures and beliefs and their values and intrinsic individualities so as to present unbiased and faithful reflection of them.
- Acknowledge a mistake when it occurs, promptly correct it and ensure it does not recur.
- Observe transparency in dealing with the news and its sources while adhering to the internationally established practices concerning the rights of these sources.
- Distinguish between news material, opinion and analysis to avoid the snares of speculation and propaganda.
- Stand by colleagues in the profession and give them support when required, particularly in the light of the acts of aggression and harassment to which journalists are subjected at times. Cooperate with Arab and international journalistic unions and associations to defend freedom of the press.
Al Jazeera Network proudly presents its editorial guidelines. Over the last few years, Al Jazeera has been at the forefront of a transformation in the global media landscape.
This guidebook includes a number of recommendations and checks that are vital to maintaining the highest global standards in news and current affairs programming. They are also an accumulation of our own experiences.
Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct outlines, in detail, a set of guidelines and rules that must be rigorously observed, as they are drawn from Al Jazeera Code of Ethics.
It is a reference document designed to regulate and govern Al Jazeera journalistic activities both in news and programmes as well as the station's relationship with the audience and sources of news.